Speedwell United Methodist Church
vicinity, near Millett. In 1884-1885, Ogreta Brabham Dunbar and Savannah Barker Bates raised funds for
a new congregation, in what was then Barnwell County. In 1885 Mary Dunbar Laffitte and her husband,
John H. Laffitte donated a 5 acre track her for the church. The first church on this site, built about 1885,
was replaced by the present church, begun in 1922 during the pastorate of Rev. W.R. Jones. It remained
unfinished during the Depression but was dedicated in f1941 during the pastorate of Rev. J.A. Graham.
Attendance declined in the 1960’s, and regular services ended by 1970. Homecomings are still
occasionally held here.