Pleasant Mountain Baptist Church
of Dumbarton. The new church joined the Barnwell Baptist Association in the first year of its existence .
A building was erected very early and joined the Savannah River Association to which it remained a
member until 1949. A new church building was built and dedicated on April 18, 1897. Today, members
tell of a church burning (date unknown). Another church building (located in Martin today) was built
around 1915. A stone marker in the church yard has the year 1915 on it. It appears that these three
buildings was built on at least 2 different sites. Pleasant Mountain rejoined the Baptist Association in
1950. When the Savannah River Plant came into the area, Pleasant Mountain Church was moved in
1952. The building was moved to a new site about three miles away on the corner of Patterson Mill
Road S-3-45 and S-3-161 in Allendale County. A cemetery remains near the old site and a Fifth Sunday
services still continue and are well attended. The 1915 building is still in use. This wood frame building
features tongue and groove boards for the wall and ceiling, handmade pews, and is one of the few
church buildings that does not have air conditioning.
Summarized from “Memories of Home Dunbarton and Myers Remembered” and an article by Rev. Billy