Mount Arnon Baptist Church
Mount Arnon Baptist Church (Public)
Mount Arnon Baptist Church in Allendale first met beneath a brush arbor in 1835. Local ministers Reverend James Lawton and Reverend John Brooker , concerned about the prevalence of sinful behavior in the rural stretches along the Savannah, gathered people for their sermons in a location otherwise void of spiritual leadership. The land where the group initially gathered belonged to Jesse Miller. Two years later the small congregation moved closer to its present site. In 1939. The church was formally organized as Mount Arnon Baptist Church, and a sanctuary built for the growing congregation as it flourished. Prior to the Civil War, it was common for slaves to attend with their owners and were recorded as both the property of white members and as members of the church. Slaves were buried on church property, but in a separate space in the lower part of the churchyard. In 1857 the church began exploring the building of a new sanctuary near the first church. The present church was built some time after the idea was presented. Membership seems to have fluctuated over the years. Around 1950, Sunday School classrooms were added and In 1952, the church reinstated weekly services, and the church burial grounds were expanded. In 1979, the fellowship hall was added. Mount Arnon Baptist continues to be an active part of Allendale.
3358 Barnwell Hwy.
Allendale, S.C. 29810
Information provided by SC Picture Project