In a remote section of Allendale County, down the end of Cohen’s Bluff Road, you will find a peaceful, secluded, wooded spot on the Savannah River known today as Cohen’s Bluff Landing that provides boating access to the Savannah River. It has a very nice concrete boat ramp as well as a pier.
Mathews Bluff is one of the earliest settlements along the Savannah River. In many records, Mathews Bluff is mentioned as early as the 1750’s, and during the Revolutionary War there was a great deal of activity within this area. According to tradition, after the War Between the States, two Jewish brothers, whose surname was Cohen, built a store and warehouse just north of Mathews Bluff as the location seemed more suitable. However, the Cohens were in that area before the war according to Revolutionary War records. This is further corroborated as grave stones on the Cohen Plantation, several miles north of the bluff, reveal names and dates from the 1800’s.
Info condensed from “Allendale on the Savannah,“ S.C.Greatoutdoors.com
. . .