Johnson’s Landing is located in Martin, S.C. and provides access for boats to the Savannah River. It has a concrete ramp, pier, and a paved parking lot. It is owned by Allendale County.
The family of Colonial Governor Robert Johnson owned land around Johnson’s Landing during the colonial period. Later owners included the Royal Lieutenant-Governor Irving, whose estate was confiscated during the Revolutionary War, which was at that time known as Irving’s Barony. The Johnson family again came into possession of this estate when two brothers, William and Richard Johnson from Wadmalaw Island purchased the 3000 acres for the sum of $4000 in 1804. The landing was at that time commercially important, remaining so for many years after.
Orange Grove Plantation, located adjacent to the Savannah River near historic Johnsons Landing, was the holding of Colonel James McPherson that passed through to the Estes family and has descended through the Brookes and Lawton families. The plantation house, home of William Walker Brookes and built in the early 1800’s, was an ante-bellum residence like so many others that dotted areas along the majestic river. It stood just a few miles from the Savannah River and its residents could hear the river boat’s whistle as it made the run from Augusta to Savannah. Orange Grove survived the ravages of the war but was burned about 1915.
Info summarized from “Allendale on the Savannah.”