Harmony Baptist Church (Public)
Congregants of what would become Harmony Baptist Church, first gathered in Fairfax in 1830, holding services under a brush arbor, as was typical of early rural churches. Formally organized in 1878, the church was named by charter member Sarah Gooding. This simple meeting style sanctuary was constructed in 1880 on land donated by member Josiah Loadholt. Harmony Baptist Church became part of the Savannah River Association of Baptist Churches, an organization formed in 1813. In 1899, Harmony Baptist joined with three other local churches-Salkehatchie Baptist, Bethlehem, and Bethel Baptist- to from a pastoral field in which a single pastor would preach to members of all four churches twice a month, rotating from church to church. Today, Harmony Baptist Church is affiliated with nearby Varnville Baptist Church, both of which belong to the Southern Baptist Convention.
1636 State Rd. 3-3-40 (Jenny Rd}
Fairfax, S.C. 29810
Images and copy used with permission from Andy Hunter SC Picture Project