Happy Home Baptist Church
after the Civil War, when it met under a brush arbor in the Wood settlement of what was then Barnwell
County. Some years later, the congregation moved to the Zion Branch community near Old Allendale,
where members built their first sanctuary and adopted the name Zion Baptist Church. They continued
to worship there until 1875, when a new sanctuary was constructed and renamed Happy Home Baptist
Church. The current structure, a brick Gothic Revival building, was constructed in 1911, replacing the
wooden frame sanctuary. Happy Home Baptist Church received it state historical marker in 2011.