was constructed Ca 1828 by Dr. William Robinson Erwin. The front façade is characterized by three
dormers and a piazza that extends its entire length as well as halfway down each of the side facades.
Fourteen square wooden columns extend along the piazza, and similar pilasters ornament the corners of
the house and frame the doorways. Erwinton is an example of Bahamian-influenced raised cottage style
of architecture. This style was prevalent in the Southeast, particularly on the coast, during the
nineteenth century. The dormers were added during the 1950’s. Dr. William Erwin, the original owner
of Erwinton, his wife and sister-in-law were all excommunicated from Kirkland Church in 1833 for their
affiliation with other denominations. They then formed the second Christian congregation, the Disciples
of Christ, in South Carolina. They held weekly meetings at Erwinton until 1835 when the present
meeting house was completed and dedicated as Antioch Christian Church. The farmhouse remained in
the Erwin family until it was purchased by Houston Rawls in 1955. Rawls restored the residence, which
had set vacant since the Civil War, and used as a winter home. Rawls sold the home in the 1960’s to
owners who converted the home and surrounding property into a popular hunting lodge. It was listed in
the National Register May 24, 1976.