Carolina Theatre (Public)
The Art Deco Theatre in Allendale was a popular downtown cinema from the late 1920’s through the 1960’s. Originally called the Pastime Theater, the name was changed to the Carolina Theatre under the management of F.H. Moody and E.A. Crocker. The one screen 382 seat movie house closed in the mid-twentieth century along with many other businesses in this western South Carolina area as Interstate 95 drew travelers away from town centers. The University of South Carolina -Salkehatchie acquired the theater building in 1983 and christened it the Salkehatchie Civic Center. In 2007, the school received a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture-Rural Development and from Savannah River Nuclear Solutions to restore the theater and convert it into a performing arts center. Numerous local businesses also contributed to the project as well as the University of South Carolina Columbia Art Department. Upon completion of the new theatre, the name was changed yet again to the Carolina Theatre to reflect its past as a beloved cinema. The Carolina Theatre officially reopened on September 27, 2013. The theatre is used by the community as well as the school for arts and cultural events.
425 North Main St.
Allendale, S.C. 29810
Text provided by SC Archives and History