Bethel Baptist Church (Public)
Bethel Baptist Church, named for its surrounding Bethel Community near, present day Fairfax, was formed in1851. The congregation erected it first building, on this site in 1852. The land for the church was donated by Mathias Mathis. The log building was succeeded by a frame church in 1887. Bethel first became a member of the Savannah River Association in 1851, then in 1856, became a charter member of the Barnwell Baptist Association, remaining a member until 1961, when the church joined the Allendale-Hampton Baptist Association. When the present sanctuary was constructed in 1949, it connected with the original sanctuary, maximizing space and preserving history. The church has undergone renovations twice since then- once in 1984 and again in 1991, It remains an active church near the town of Fairfax.
6486 Confederate Hwy
Fairfax, S.C. 29827
Copy from The SC Picture Project. Photo credit Andy Hunter
. . .