Belfast Plantation (Private)
Belfast Plantation is located about 15 miles west of the Town of Allendale, near where the Lower Three Runs Creek meets the Savannah River. It was first settled in 1744 by Scarborough who came to America from Belfast, Ireland and secured several small tracts of land from local owners and combined them. The ground level floor of the house is constructed of brick walls with walls two feet in thickness. The upper story, which is reached by a wide step leading from the ground to a porch supported by large square columns, is constructed of wide pine boards. A scientific work of art is the framework of Belfast. Joists, sills, uprights and beams all well notched deeply to fit are secured with wooden pegs. Overhead beams thirty feet in length are arranged in a tent-like formation with a common center and spreading in every direction like the drives of an umbrella, is framework covering the great house. Doors, hand-wrought molding, cornices, balustrades, and massive hardware are distinctive features. Floors are wide yellow pine boards. A revived Palladian Greek Art, by the famous Andrea Palladian is used over doors, windows, and in the gable ends. Mantels of the original Adams period lend charm to the great open fireplaces. While in the ownership of Judge and Mrs. H.M. Lightsey, of Columbia and Allendale, each room was paneled in a different kind of wood. The floor plans of Belfast are typical of their era with wide halls separating the bed rooms on one side from parlors, drawing room and dens, etc. The property is now owned by Mr. Billy Morris and the house is used by hunters.
Martin, S.C. (15 Miles from Allendale off Hwy 125)
Info summarized from “Allendale on the Savannah.”
Picture used by permission from SC Archives and History