Beech Branch Baptist Church
Beech Branch Baptist Church in 1822. The present lot was granted in 1796 and occupied until 1815. The
building was remodeled in 1908 and 1960. Electricity was installed and the porch added in 1959, When
weekly morning services began. The annex was built in 1962. The historical marker was erected in
1963. The location of the church is 9 miles north of Allendale-Hampton lines on road 41, then turn right
on road 104 and go approximately 1.2 miles. Info from S.C. Archives and History.
In the beginning there was no meeting house. It is presumed services were held in homes or in the open.
The first meetinghouse, a 16 by 20 structure in 1769 on a one acre lot on Duck Branch, donated by
Thomas Collins. In 1796 , James Smart, son of the first pastor, obtained 71 acres of land on Beech Branch
water of the Coosawhatchie River. He granted 7 acres to the church and later by will left the remainder
for the church’s use. This constitutes the present property of the church. The earliest mention of the
graveyard in the present location was on November 8 1817.