Antioch Christian Church (Public)
Antioch Christian Church, built ca. 1835, was the second Disciples of Christ Church in South Carolina. Today, according to the South Carolina Disciples, it is the oldest standing structure of that faith in the state and has been referred to as the “Mother Church.” Antioch is also significant as an excellent example of the meeting house style of church architecture. The clapboard structure rests upon low brick pier foundations and has a hipped roof covered by pressed tin. The front (west) façade features double six-paneled doors with a five-paned transom, flanked by a window on each side. The right side façade has a single six-paneled door with a four-paned paned transom. This door is flanked by one window on the left and two on the right. The rear (east) façade reveals the only major alteration to the structure-two doors were cut from two original windows in the 1930’s to provide passage to Sunday School rooms. These rooms have since been torn down and the doorways covered with siding. The simplicity of the design is carried out in the interior. The walls are plaster, and the original pews of hand-hewn pine remain intact. The South Carolina Disciples of Christ renovated the church in 1976, although the interior was not included in the renovation. Included within the acreage is a cemetery where many of Allendale’s oldest families are buried. It was listed in the National Register December 12, 1977.
Hwy 3 (River Rd.)
Allendale, S. C. 29810
Photo source: National Register of Historic Places program at the SC Department of Archives and History
Copy accredited to SC Department of Archives and History
. . . . . .