The town of Fairfax received its first charter on December 20, 1893, under authority of an act of the General Assembly. The town was incorporated on March 2, 1896 with Mr. W.J. Sanders as the first Mayor. It was re-chartered under the General Statutes of the State on May 16, 1898.
Fairfax has progressed along with its businesses. In 1890, Mr. G.S. O'Neal started the Standard Oil Operations in the town and supplied surrounding towns and communities with oil and kerosene. In 1940, a Town Hall, which contains the offices of the Mayor, the councilmen, and the town jail, was erected. The town has since added all the other businesses necessary to make it progressive. The town continues to grow, and its citizens hope families and businesses will continue grow with them.